Curragh – ROM Upgrade
- Wesfarmers Curragh Pty Ltd (former owner)
- 14 Months
- December 2015
Formerly owned by Wesfarmers Resources, the Curragh Coal Mine (now operated by Coronado Curragh Pty Ltd) is located in Queensland’s Bowen Basin, 30km north of Blackwater. The main product from the mine is metallurgical (coking) coal for export.
Wesfarmers identified a need to refurbish the run of mine (ROM) coal handling facility at Curragh, in order to accommodate increased production and potential future expansion requirements. They subsequently embarked upon a major upgrade of this essential infrastructure, to enable increased reliability and capacity, and extend the life of the facility.
Walz Group was engaged to supply and install structural, mechanical, piping and electrical works, including the onsite civil package and multiple tie-ins to existing plant. We provided an end-to-end solution, performing procurement, demolition and decommissioning of redundant infrastructure before delivering construction and erection/installation services for the material handling facility and associated infrastructure works. Our scope also included verification, and pre-commissioning as well as commissioning support. The works included:
- Structural steel supply and installation – 650t (Structural steel, guards, pulley frames)s
- Mechanical supply and installation – 200t (idlers, pulleys, drives, scrapers, belts)
- Piping supply and installation – 2,000m (25NB-150NB (carbon steel / galvanised / HDPE))
- Platework supply and installation – 160t (Chutes, liners)
- Electrical and instrumentation (supply and installation) — managed by Walz, performed by subcontractors
- Civil (support and installation) — managed by Walz, performed by subcontractors
- Tie-ins to existing plant
SOME OF OUR CLIENTS